Counter

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Relay For Life

Saturday night was a Relay for Life....an event I have never attended. Hollie told me about it and so I decided to check it out.....In case you don't know what it is, people form teams, collect donations for the cancer society and then walk around a track....But it is so much more than that....Once you arrive, the track is surrounded by luminarias decorated to remember or support a person who has died due to cancer, or is someone who is experiencing, or survived cancer. In Hollie's case, there was a line of luminarias in her honor, supporting her. It's really quite a special event.  It's hard to imagine an infield full of people SILENTLY honoring cancer victims, but it happened. Once the ceremony started, the participants were more quiet than I what I have experienced in church. It was quite reverent and moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment