Counter

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

93 Days and Counting....

Well, where does one begin? Needless to say, I feel like I have been hit between the eyes, and I am not the one with cancer....
Hollie had her first chemo yesterday, and initially she said she felt fine. Even came home and walked with her daughter for 20 minutes. She wrote on her caringbridge site in a somewhat cavalier way that it didn't seem so bad. Then last night it hit. We spoke on the phone for a few minutes and then she had to hang up. They did go together and purchase a wig. It really is quite lovely on her. Looks very natural. The shop where she purchased it has been in business 30 years and the stylist says she sells about 6 wigs a week to chemo patients. That's only one shop in the Bellevue area. Staggering.
Patsy is on Tx 5 of 12 for Taxol. Just trying to get through it. She was able recently to attend a wedding shower for her beautiful daughter. And considering all she has been through, Patsy looked FABULOUS. Nothing like a happy occasion and the love of family and friends to help you get through things.

I guess what is most on my mind right now is my brother. He was scheduled for a biopsy last Friday at 9:30. My sister and I went to take him to the cancer center and he is so scared, he refused to go. You would have to know him and his history to fully understand why, but it is his choice. Instead we spent the morning trying to "convince" him why it was necessary to get a specific diagnosis...to no avail for now. His oncologist did tell us it is stage 4--that he has a large tumor close to his throat, several tumors in his center chest area, and his liver. He also has emphysema. Just getting him to not have anything to eat or drink after midnight was a challenge for him, and he still feels the need to smoke. It's his way of self medicating. The reality for him, I'm afraid, is that once his initial percoset is gone and he is in more pain, he will be more willing to go back. For now, that is all we can do.

And right now, I don't feel much like walking.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Amelia- I love you and wish I could make it all better for Hollie and those that you care about. I'm thankful for your family (and Hollie) that they have YOU. You are a strong and powerful woman and advocate.

    ReplyDelete