Counter

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

OH MY GOSH!

Anyone who knows me well, knows I work best under pressure. Well, here it is Tuesday before the WALK on Friday. So far I have $585 in donations towards my goal of $2300. I haven't chipped in my contribution yet, and I am VERY willing do throw in my own money, but $1700 is a little beyond my means right now....anybody notice there is a recession going on? Well, anyway--according to the government, the recession is over, but has anybody noticed?

So, I was in a bit of a panic. I've sent emails to everyone I know, and friends have been very generous, but it is not enough. Enter Janice (my next door neighbor and Team Leader for the WALK). She has been doing fundraisers with team members and her husband's employer does matching funds. Today she just stopped by to tell me that she has about $600 to donate to my contribution--maybe more by Friday, since the TEAM is still fundraising and sending emails, letters, and making phone calls for donations. I almost cried.

Then I called my son, Chris--who has 1400 facebook friends and I asked him if he wanted to put my link on his FB page and ask his friends if they would donate $10 each to my pledge. He laughed at me and said, "Haven't you seen contributions from people you don't know?" and I told him I had. He told me he had set up a TWITTER account and told me to go to it. I SAID, "WHAT?!" I Did. I have 2 following (I'm sure one is him), 3,181 followers, and 106 listed.  Now I don't know how to use TWITTER, but he does--and he said he set it up so that every time I write a blog, he sends it to TWITTER. Well, I haven't been blogging--remember I said initially I thought it just might be TMI.

Well, it's down to the wire, and I have run out of immediate friends, so I am going to go out on a limb and see if anyone out there can contribute. Hey, it worked for the elections...So, if you feel like you can support me in this endeavor, please send a contribution. All you have to do is click on my link. I wish I knew how to post the amount already contributed. It shows up on my FB account--but I am just too feeble to figure it all out. Chris could do it for me, but a mother can ask just so much of her son...he is a little busy.

I wanted to post a photo of my friend, Patsy, from our college days....Were were young, trim, strong, irreverant and carefree at the time. She is the beautiful one bottom left. I am upper right. We didn't have a care in the world at that time.  Now she would just like her hair back.  Me--I wish I could give her some of mine--I never liked mine much anyway....(vbg).

So, there it is.. Three days and counting. But the thing that counts most is the people we love and the people who love us back. That's what it all comes down to anyway, doesn't it. I am blown away by my neighbor, Janice. Here I thought I wouldn't be able to walk at all--just donate what I have so far, and she came riding in on her white horse. And Chris.....Who knew? This is one mother who didn't know her son had her back. Today, once again, I am counting my many blessings.  This Saturday I will be missing a baby shower and a wedding shower--I'll be WALKING for my friends who are struggling, for my brother who is gone, for Bessie, Becky, Patsy, Hollie, Joan, Violet and my other dear friends and relatives who have had to go through this. I'm going to go out and buy pink strrrrretchy pants and pink everything---'cause I'm walkin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment